Syn free and serves 4
- Approx 600g/1lb 6oz large onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- Fry light for spraying
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 1.5 ltres/ 2½ pints beef stock
- 1tbsp artificial sweetener
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To serve – very low fat fromage frais (optional)
- Spray a non-stick saucepan with fry light and place over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, stir and cook for 6-8 minutes before turning the heat to low.
- Allow to cool gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are lightly browned.
- Add the thyme sprigs and stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the beef stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sweetener and season well.
- To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls and stir in a spoonful of the fromage frais (optional)